All of the numbers have been tallied and Orlando International Airport (MCO) was the busiest airport in the state of Florida in 2017. MCO had another record setting year with some 44.6 million total passengers. Driving the increase in traffic was a strong uptick in domestic travel, climbing some 6.52 percent.
“Orlando International is busier than we have ever been before, we are also now the busiest airport in the state of Florida. With our balanced increase in both domestic and international visitors, 2017 proved to be yet another record breaking year, reflecting the dynamic business activity of the region,” says Frank Kruppenbacher, Chairman of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority.
Overall growth in 2017 was 6.41 percent, which represents an increase of nearly 2.7 million passengers over 2016’s previous record. Much of that growth is attributable to an increase of over 3 million passenger seats added to the market.
“As the busiest airport in passenger traffic in the state of Florida in 2017 serving Orlando, the most visited destination in the country, we are working hard to meet the growing demands and provide the experience travelers expect,” says Phil Brown, Chief Executive Officer of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority. “Another year of record passenger traffic highlights the need for our current $3.5 billion capital improvement program. Current projections are that this level of growth will continue in 2018.”
Year-end 2017 Statistical Data:
- International passenger traffic climbed 5.71 percent to a new record of 5,912,295
- International traffic made up 13.4 percent of overall passenger volume in 2017
- Domestic traffic climbed 6.52 percent with 38,698,970 total passengers
- Overall passenger growth was 6.41 percent to a new record of 44,611,265
December 2017 Statistical Data:
- International traffic jumped 13.67 percent with 524,231 passengers
- Domestic passenger traffic was up 7.43 percent with 3,457,940 total passengers
- Overall passenger volume was up 8.21 percent for the month with 3,982,171 passengers
Basic MCO information: With more than 44.6 million annual passengers, MCO is the busiest airport in Florida and 13th busiest in the U.S. The airport is centrally located and within a two hour drive for 60 percent of the state’s residents. MCO has more than 18,000 employees and generates in excess of $31 billion in revenue for the regional economy. Orlando International Airport strives to value and delight its customers through an airport-wide design concept known as The Orlando Experience®.
Source: Greater Orlando Aviation Authority